Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Part Two…Surprise! Times 30!





Sunday, August 15, after a hard two-hour bike ride and an inspiring Solid Rock Ministries Church message about being “generous” I was anything but. I was hungry, thirsty, crabby, tired from lots of training, and not at all sure why Cliff had arranged that we’d meet our friends at the beach. I just wanted to have lunch and take a nap!

We pulled up to the Old Airport Beach, and I was still whining about being hungry and thirsty, but I put on my “I’m happy” face as we greeted Kelsie and headed to the beach (without chairs, towels, etc...now that I think about it!). As we neared the pavilion, people jumped out and yelled "Surprise!!" and I sure was!! I can’t even remember who all was there for the initial surprise, since I was in shock! And as the day went on, so many friends came and went…and I appreciated every one!

On the wall were posters of pictures from before 1980, of Cliff and I, our families, our three daughters, our travels, and, yes, even our wedding! Because the reason for this great "Surprise! Times 30!" was our 30th wedding anniversary! Apparently, Cliff, daughters Robin, Kailin and Michelle, Kelsie and my dear sister Robin had been planning and organizing…and I thought I was a pretty aware person!

There was great food, great conversations, and laughs over the old pictures! I thank everyone who came, and everyone who sent their well-wishes and continue to do so! And like when I turned 50, I plan to be "celebrating" our 30th anniversary for the whole next year, at least. Maybe even when we’ve actually been married for 31 years, I’ll still be saying "30" just like I still say I’m 50 years old, even though I’m just a little over that! I like nice, round, fun numbers!

Anyway, a huge MAHALO to all who participated in any way, and to my super-great husband Cliff, who is so thoughtful, and knows what I need and what I want…even when I don’t know myself! He’s been THE BEST HUSBAND – a true GIFT to me for more than 30 years and THE BEST FATHER, too. Every woman should be blessed with a man who truly puts her above himself, is generous, kind, faithful, caring, and can even pull off a surprise anniversary party 30 years after the wedding!

Stay tuned…I am only 17 days out from the Ironman World Championship! It’s hard to believe race day is almost here…I’m looking forward to a GREAT day, not only as I swim, bike and run, but as I take part in the activities leading up to the race, entertain family and friends that are coming to town, and put the finishing touches on my training.

In the midst of all the "big" training days, preparing for guests, etc, little things can mean a lot. I was soooo happy when I found out my race number…#567! Easy to remember, rolls off the tongue, brings a smile to my face!

Trust you are finding something each day that brings a smile to your face! Check back daily…I’ll be adding something every day until Ironman, as well as a full race report after!

No comments:

Post a Comment