Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What’s New? What’s Old?






Well…not too much is new right now, unless you consider lots less training “new,” which does actually feel very weird! There’s more intensity in the rides and runs, but the long weekend workouts have really eased up.

I did start a new cleaning job today…I really do like cleaning for a job! There’s just something about starting with something one way, and making it cleaner by the end of the work hours – very satisfying! And it’s active, which I enjoy, too!

Everyone has been so kind, inquiring how I’m doing and how my training is going. I fully realize and appreciate the honor and privilege it is for me to be competing in the Ironman World Championship, and I want to share it with as many people as are interested!

I am also very excited to be “Racing Ironman With a Purpose,” helping to bring awareness and donations to friend Annamari’s Deep & Beyond programs, which directly affect residents of Kona by providing outdoor activities…concentrating on teaching, appreciating and feeling the freedom the outdoors can offer those with disabilities. So far, so many have been so generous, which is a very big blessing for Annamari, and me! Thank you!!

In old news, one Saturday a few weeks ago, Cliff and I combined a 6-hour ride with a mid-ride break at Kealakehe High School to watch niece Allison (designer of my blog!) and nephew Cappy compete in a cross-country meet. We’d never been to one before, and it was fun! It was basically lots of kids, running their hearts out, and looking like they were enjoying themselves! In the pictures you can see Allison and Cappy (both in blue) running in to the finish – both of them really turned it on at the end!

We continued on our bike ride after the meet, and I have the proof to show we did, actually, go 6 hours. At the very end, I was riding around our (hilly) parking lot until it turned to 6:00! That’s why the speed is showing 2.5 mph! (Note the "cheat labels" Cliff has added to my bike computer...I have them for shifting, too :).

Finally, in more old news, we ran with friends and family on the Hao Street trail earlier this month. It is the best…higher altitude so it’s cooler, and it’s like running in a rain forest, with beautiful flowers (see photo) and vegetation. All the way to the end (with a few twists and turns) is 2.5 miles, and takes you to the edge of Makalei Golf Course…on a good day you’ll see peacocks, sheep, chickens, and cows! As much as I love trail running and the Hao Street trail, I won’t be doing it again until after Ironman. Every time I run it I trip, and a few times I’ve fallen. The terrain is packed dirt (or mud), roots, and lava rock – you really have to pay attention! For those who are really ambitious, it makes a great mountain biking trail, too!

Can’t wait to see what’s new tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment